Here are some tips on how you can own a home, without waiting a lifetime…
1. Strengthen your credit
With strong credit, the better interest rate you’ll qualify for. The difference between a 4.5% interest mortgage and a 5% interest mortgage can mean thousands in rands over the life of the loan. Pay off credit cards and resolve any credit disputes or delinquencies.
2. Talk to and retain a lawyer
If you expect the buying of the house to be a simple, straightforward affair, then you’ll probably only need a Realtor. A lawyer maybe good where you suspect the seller might try to quickly back out of the deal or you don’t trust them and to check with a lawyer before entering into a contract. Here are some ideas on where to get some cheap legal advise.
3. Find a good real estate agent to represent you in the search and negotiation process
A Realtor’s job is to connect people who want to buy and sell a particular home. For this reason, a Realtor has an interest in selling homes. And a very good Realtor will use their experience to sell the right home to the right buyer. Telling you about the schools, shopping, ages and values of nearby properties and any other statistics on the area you may be interested in.
4. Get pre-approved for a loan to get the actual amount you can pay
Unless you loaded and can pay for your home cash most home buyers go through a loan process to acquire a home. Therefore applying to several lenders before contacting a real estate agent can give you a firm idea of what you can afford, and not accidentally fall in love with a house that you cannot afford.
Also sellers love buyers who get pre-approved. As they’re almost always given the green light by lenders, meaning there’s less risk for the deal to get scuttled in the end.
5. Make an offer tailor your bid to the seller’s circumstances
- Look at if they’re in desperate need of money. Cash-strapped sellers will be more likely to take an offer that undercuts their asking price.
- Also that homes that have been on the market for longer periods of time can usually be bid down.
- And if the sellers have already bought another house that they aren’t currently living in. With the house the sellers are trying to sell, it may be easier for you to bid for less than you otherwise might.