Lawrence is a young professional who is supporting some members of his extended family. His parents recently had a financial setback and he is looking for ways to help them. He doesn’t have an emergency savings account yet, so he decides to apply for a short term loan.
In addition to banks, he has access to a range of short term loan providers.
One such lender is Wonga. This lender offers R4000 loans for new customers, while existing ones with a solid repayment history are able to access sup to R8000. Borrowers have up to six months to repay.
How to qualify for a Wonga loan:
- Be over the age of 18 years old
- Provide a valid South African ID
- Provide bank account details
- Provide most recent proof of income
- Provide your valid cellphone number
Wonga is a registered credit provider, so loan applicants are required to pass a credit check to qualify. Lawrence’s previous payment history will be factored into his application. If he has paid other creditors on time, this will reflect in his credit report.
Applications can be made online by visiting www.wonga.co.za
- Create an account, then select the amount you want to apply for.
- Specify the amount of time you need to repay the loan (max 6 months)
- Complete the application via a secure form
- Provide your 3 most recent payslips
If you are successful, you can expect the cash in your account within 15 minutes. If Lawrence’s application is approved for a Wonga loan he can expect the money almost immediately, so he can use it for any financial emergencies he has.
The loans are designed for short term use and late payments incur extra costs. He needs to make sure that he pays on time so that he doesn’t have to pay extra.